Tuesday, April 8, 2008

School drama

Most of you know that I have decided to continue my education after I graduate in May with a B.A. in Sociology with a Minor in Psychology. I was talking with Luke and decided that I want to teach elementary school and I am SO excited! I have always thought of teaching but was always worried about the pay. This will perfect though for when we have kids, I will be on their schedule and we will save huge in childcare, so teaching it is! Now.....where do I go? We will be living in Cheyenne, WY so I first looked at University of Wyoming but it is over 40 miles away, then I looked at Colorado State which is 30 miles away but they were totally rude and did not have an Elementary Edu program, then I called Northern Colorado State University which is recognized for their teaching program but they did not have any room for the upcoming semester. So then I went back to University of Wyoming and was satisfied with them and their program however I would need 1 year of prerequisites =( Bummer! Then we had the idea to look into Arizona State University and well, it sounds pretty darn good! Keep in mind all of the programs that I had looked at before ASU start in May or June and go for summer, fall, and spring semester and offer only one program a year and their deadlines were back in November. ASU on the other hand offers two programs, one night and one day, one that starts in June and one that starts in January and both have a deadline of about a month before the start date and are just 12 months long. Way cool, and the best part is that I would have no prerequisites to fulfill there, they would be done during the program! We were thinking that I would just go live with Luke's parents in Arizona since it is only a 12hr drive from Cheyenne and then Luke would come after his year is done in Cheyenne. But we just finally heard back from ASU and it would be a go to start in June but I think it is just pushing it too much. Having such limited time to get a resume and letters of recommendation and everything else that they would need by May 1st would be difficult. Also that would leave Luke to all the packing and driving our stuff alone on a 6 or so day trip out of Alaska. I know he is a big boy but that would just be ALOT of work and unfair to throw it all on him. Also I would miss out on the crazy amount of weddings we have this summer in MN area, not to mention I have not seen my side of the fam for about a year. Also this will give us a chance to experience Wyoming together and see if we even like it, give it a fair chance ya know. We have decided to stop trying to predict the future and just go with the flow, take things as they come and have faith that everything will work out right. Even if we do end up staying in Wyoming longer than a year I am 99% sure I am going to get my teaching certificate and a masters in education at ASU because they have a pretty rad program and it would be fun to live in good ol AZ with the Dahlman gang. So for all of you that have heard my school drama day after day, here is my final conclusion.....for now!

No comments: