Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Horray for USA!

We left Dawson Creek yesterday (tues) morning and it was raining and continued to rain the entire day through Edmonton (where there were apparently some funnel clouds) and Calgary. We were planning to stay in Calgary but there was some convention and the whole city was sold out of hotel rooms. It ended up being a 14-15 hour day in the truck and we drove for the first time since Feb-Mar in the dark, way scary! We had Dairy Queen and it was pretty disappointing because they did not make the blizzards like they do in the states. The hotel people told us to just skip the next town and hit the one after that for a room. Fat Chance, nothing. So we ended up staying in some random of the highway place in the town after. We finally pulled in around 1 AM, we were so frustrated.
We wanted to go check out the place where they held the Olympics years back in Calgary but it was too rainy and this was after we were told that we were SOL and had to drive even further to get some sleep. So I just got a cheap through the windshield pic of the site. I wish it was nicer we could have gone out and checked it out.
This morning we woke up and headed across the border, Luke was all smiles and we were so happy to get back into the US. Customs was so smooth this time, the new Luke was in the US military so they did not hassle us. We were all gitty until.....
What is this $#!) ?
I thought we were out of Alaska? June 11th and east of Glacier National Park was getting dumped on not to mention we were going through this in the small twisted roads. We had frowns again.
I was deep into my book this afternoon and Luke spotted this huge rainbow, we saw both ends of it and it was a good way to cheer us back up!
Then it turned into a double! I must say it has been a very weird day and a half experiencing the variations in weather. We saw in two days what it usually takes a whole 4 seasons to see.
As for right now we stopped in Glendive Montana and it is a dive! The hotel smells like urine and I am really hoping that these sheets are clean. But I should be thankful that we have a place to stay since the first hotel we asked said they were sold out, once again another stinkin thing going on. Its the Miss Montana pageant. Tomorrow or technically this morning we will be heading out about 7am to hopefully reach Plymouth, MN 3 or 4 ish (thurs) !

1 comment:

The Quinn Report said...

Goodness, I haven't checked your blog in FOREVER, thinking that you wouldn't be posting on your journey. Anyways, thanks for the Valdosta "shout out"; I did live there and I didn't like it at the time. Looking back on it, it wasn't all bad, I was just ready to get in my own home and see my things again. You know how it is!

Can't wait to see you in a few weeks! I tried calling you this evening, but I realized that I didn't store your new digits in my phone. So, you'll have to ring me when you get the chance. Do you know when you'll be rolling into town?

Love and miss you,
Noel